Monday, October 5, 2009

1st Month Results

It is results day once again. I feel like this past week flew by. This week was my lowest weight loss to date....but another pound lost, for a total of 10.5 pounds for the first month. This is also the day for the first report of measurements. I have lost a total of 5 inches so far, 1 1/2 inches in the bust, 2 inches in the waist, none in the hips, 1/2 inch in my arm, and 1 inch in my thigh. Pretty exciting stuff!

It is also vacation recap day 3! What a busy day it was! We started out with breakfast at The Wolseley. I had crumpets for the first time. They weren't quite as I had expected, but they were good. I had to try and be a little British! We then quickly went over to Buckingham Palace!! We first toured the Queen's Gallery which was full of generations of royal porcelain (of which I loved every piece!) and a whole display of Faberge (including a beautiful egg!). From the Gallery, we moved on to the Royal Mews. There we saw the coaches that are used by the royal family as well as other dignitaries. There were horse drawn carriages as well as the 1950s Rolls Royce Phantom! The horses were just beautiful. Then it was on to the main attraction, the State Rooms in the Palace! I wish I could have taken pictures because they were just amazing. So much gold gilding, antiques, porcelain, moldings, paintings. It was amazing. There was even a whole exhibit of some of the Queen's dresses including current day dresses to formal gowns from the 60s. You could really feel in that room how much the people of England love her. As we wrapped up the tour, we walked through the Queen's gardens and out of the property.
After we walked back around the Palace, we walked down the Mall until we reached Trafalgar Square in the center of London. In the center of the sqaure in Nelson's Column which is surrounded by four large lion statues. On one side of the square in the National Gallery, which can be seen in the background of the picture below. There was a life size chess set (which was actually being played) in the middle of the square while we were there. I thought it was really cool.
After a quick break for lunch, we walked over to see Big Ben (not to be confused...it is the bell inside the tower, not the tower itself). I must say, I think this is one of my favorite sites of London, and I can't even explain why!
Along with Big Ben are the Houses of Parliament, or the Palace of Westminster. These buildings are just amazing and house the House of Commons and the House of Lords.
Just across the street from Parliament is Westminster Abbey. The Abbey is not only beautiful, but it is filled with so much history! Since 1066 and the coronations of King Harold and William the Conqueror, all English and British monarchs (except Edward V and Edward VIII - who did not have coronations) have been crowned in the Abbey. There are also many very well known people buried or memoralized at the Abbey, including Edward the Confessor, most Kings and Queens of England, Geoffery Chaucer, Lord Byron, Charles Dickens, T.S. Eliot, Alfred Lord Tennyson, and William Shakespeare. I have been luck enough on previous trips to get to attend a worship service at the Abbey, as well as stay at the Westminster School for Boys while studying abroad during college.
We then headed over to Covent Garden for a little shopping and relaxing. I got to stop into some of my favorite stores in London including Paperchase, Cath Kidston, and Orla Kiely. After dinner, we headed over to see my all time favorite musical, Les Miserables! It was absolutely amazing!! I really believe I could watch it every day and never grow tired of it!
Thanks for sticking with me through the long day 3! See you for day four tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment